I am super excited to tell you that in 2012 we will have monthly meetings! We have the building every third Tuesday of the month. There are so many things we need to be learning, this will give us the perfect opportunity! It will also help us develop our friendships quicker, because we will see each other more often! Hope to see you there!



Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Christmas Granola, looks great in a jar!



Cherry-Almond-and-Cinnamon-Granola-Recipe

Ingredients

  • 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 2 cups sliced almonds
  • 1 1/2 cups dried cherries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup good honey
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, and cherries together in a large bowl. Pour the vegetable oil and honey over the oat mixture. Add the cinnamon, and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated with the liquids. Pour onto a sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

I saw this granola recipe years ago and make it every Christmas. It a great start you can change things to your own taste. I don't use dried cherries, I use dried cranberries, and I have learned that I have to have sesame seeds in it or it isn't the same. I don't put cinnamon in just because I usually forget. I love lot's of different nuts, so I will but everything I have around the house in it. It's a great beginners recipe.


 There are pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, and almonds with the oats. I didn't have any sesame seeds and that is how I know I need them.

 You add the coconut at the end and stir it in just before you bake it.
 You add the dried fruit bits, after it is cooked. You can add any dried fruits you enjoy raisins, cherries, blueberries, apples, apricots, or cranberries.
Then just bag or bottle it up!

1 comment:

  1. So I can leave the coconut out? Maybe make up for it with extra oats or nuts? If I do that should I use more oil or honey?

    ReplyDelete